There are three ways to set up a Valheim Server Hosting. You can host it at the Valheim server, set up a dedicated Valheim server, or you can also rent a Valheim server. Regardless of the method you choose, there are advantages and disadvantages to each. Let’s take a look further.
Use the Valheim server
Probably the easiest way to play together with your friends in Valheim is simply to host the server yourself.
When choosing your world, place the dot next to the “Start Server” option. Underneath you set a password. Your friends can join you via the “Join Game” tab. They just need to enter the password and they will be promoted to your world.
– Free of charge
– Very easy setup
– Less than 1-minute setup time
– The world is only online when you are online to host it
– All players play over your network
– Your system has to carry the entire server load
Set up a dedicated Valheim server
The harder way to play Valheim with your friends is by setting up a dedicated server. You can use a tool from Iron Gate to set up a dedicated server directly in Steam. It may be necessary for you to make special settings on your router for this.
Search for “Valheim” in your Steam Library and you should see the Valheim Dedicated Server Tool. You don’t have to buy that extra. Any player who owns Valheim can also use the tool for free. Watch the video for a guide to setting up a Valheim dedicated server.
Once you start the server, you should get a firewall notification. Check both boxes to allow the server to communicate with the internet. Start the server from your Steam library and wait for the line “Game server connected” to appear.
You should now see your server via the “Join Game” tab. If not, you must make the necessary port settings on your router. To exit the server again, press the key combination CTRL + C. Closing the window with an X can cause the server to continue running in the background.
– Free of charge
– The game no longer needs to be hosted locally on your premises in order to play together with your friends.
– Complicated setup
– The server has to be restarted and shut down for each session.
– Every time the game is updated, the “start_headless_server.bat” file is deleted. You have to put them in the folder again and again.
Rent a Valheim Server Hosting
The most efficient way to set up a server in Valheim is outsourcing. Renting the server saves you the time of setting up a dedicated server and it protects your network and your system because you don’t have to host nine other people.
With large providers such as Nitrado, G-Portal, Host-Unlimited, or 1G Server Host, you can set up a Valheim server without much effort. With some providers, you can choose how many slots the server should have, i.e. how many players can play on the server at the same time. It is very important that you buy a maximum of 10 slots because Valheim supports a maximum of 10 players on one server.
Read also: Game Server Web Hosting For Video Games
– Server is not running on your home system or over your network.
– Players can log in at any time without waiting for you.
– You don’t have to set anything on the server for game updates, you can just play.
– The server costs you money.
– After the rental period has expired, you must save your world, otherwise, it will be gone.
– You would have to keep extending the server’s runtime so that you can continue playing with your friends.